9361 South 300 East, Sandy, UT 84070

Minutes – November 19, 2020

Canyons Transition Academy PTSA Board Meeting
November 19, 2020 5:00pm
Held via Zoom

In Attendance: Nate Edvalson (PTSA Administration VP), Betty Shaw (PTSA President), Brooke D’Sousa (PTSA Legislative VP), Kim Garrard (PTSA Treasurer), Brooke Heumann (PTSA Teacher VP), and Julie Moore (PTSA Secretary)

Excused: DeeAnn Pratt (Student Relations VP), Chris Gardner (PTSA President Elect)

Welcome by Betty Shaw

Thought and Pledge by Kimberly Garrard. “Nothing is permanent.  No matter how bad the situation is, it will change.”

The agenda was emailed to board members.  A motion to approve the agenda was made by Brooke D’Sousa and Julie Moore seconded the motion. The agenda was then approved unanimously.

Minutes from the October 22, 2020 board meeting were emailed to board members.  A motion to approve the minutes was made by Brooke Heumann and Kimberly Garrard seconded the motion.  The minutes were then approved unanimously.

The Treasurer’s report was given by Kimberly Garrard with nothing changing from the previous meeting.  Betty did indicate that we have neglected to purchase insurance from AIM for the PTSA organization so $150 needs to be included in the budget.

Betty reported to the board that she had applied for the MACU grant for $1500 to use for supplies for crafts or other CTA needs but she learned that CTA was not awarded the grant.  Betty was told that part of the requirements for the grant was having someone with a personal account at MACU.

The membership report is 32 members to date.  All of the teachers at CTA are members of PTSA but all of the staff also need to be members.  Kim’s idea for increased membership was to give PTA memberships as Christmas gifts to friends and family members.  Each member is encouraged to get 2 new PTSA memberships.

Suggestions for the nominating committee were then discussed.  Nate and Betty are not eligible for the committee.  It was suggested to have Pam Hansen on the committee and Julie Moore volunteered to be on the committee representing the current board. Nate is automatically the PTSA Administration VP as the principal and the Teacher VP is nominated by the other teachers.  Other positions needing to be filled are:  President Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, Legislative VP, and Student Relations VP.  Board members were encouraged to email Betty and Julie suggestions for committee members.  Once these suggestions have been emailed, then there will be an electronic vote.  Betty will email a list of the current PTSA members to all board members to look for suggestions for the committee and also to fill future positions.  If any of the people now serving would like to continue serving, they will need to let the committee know confidentially of their intentions.

There will be no field trips for the remainder of the 19-20 school year.

Fundraising plans include getting donations from Lowes for $100 and Home Depot for $50 to use for supplies for the students to make items and sell them.  Betty will get the donations once she has a list of items to purchase at Lowe’s and Home Depot.  Nathan and Carmen will work on a list of supplies needed.  Businesses need a letter for donations to be tax deductible.

Betty will also reach out to DeeAnn Pratt and have her check on a Chick-fil-A night fundraiser.

Betty talked to DeeAnn about the Student Council Committee and DeeAnn will work on getting a virtual meeting set up in December.  Brooke Heumann suggested having the meeting @ 1:45 during a school day.  Betty would like to join the meeting.

Nate reported that there are no obligations with anyone concerning a memory book.  He talked to Stacey Noffsinger at Jordan Valley school and her report was that we can do whatever we want.  Nate will email the board the company that Jordan Valley used.  Board members need to look for sponsors for memory books.

Other items discussed included feedback on the Halloween treat.  Some online students never picked up their treats.  Board members were asked to think about a treat to hand out for December.  Nate indicated a social gathering for December is in the planning stages. Kim suggested a virtual movie where the PTA could send home microwave popcorn to be eaten during the movie.  A total of 59 students would need to be planned on with 32 in person students.  Betty will talk with Susan at the district to see if the district has a license agreement to show a movie.

PTSA Day at the Capitol will be virtual this year.  Adults will also be virtual.  This will make the cost minimal.

The next meeting was scheduled for December 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm via Zoom unless it is determined that the meeting is not necessary.

A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Brooke D’Sousa and Kimberly Garrard seconded the motion.  The meeting was adjourned at 5:35 pm.

Translate »

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement

Canyons School District is committed to making this website compliant with the ADA. At this time, we recognize that not all areas of this website may be ADA compliant. We are currently in the process of redesigning and creating new website content to be compliant with the W3C Level Two guidelines. If you are experiencing issues with this website, please contact us here communications@canyonsdistrict.org