11150 South 300 East, Sandy, UT 84070
801-826-5487

Minutes – October 1, 2020

Minutes
Canyons Transition Academy PTSA Meeting
October 1, 2020 5:00pm
Bell Canyon Conference Room

In Attendance: Nate Edvalson (PTSA Administration VP), Betty Shaw (PTSA President), Brooke D’Sousa (PTSA Legislative VP), Kim Garrard (PTSA Treasurer), Brooke Heumann (PTSA Teacher VP), and Julie Moore (PTSA Secretary)

Excused: DeeAnn Pratt (Student Relations VP)

Welcome by Betty Shaw

Thought and Pledge by Julie Moore

The Agenda was amended to add the topic, “Nominating Committee” following Parent/Teacher Dinner. A motion was made by Kim Garrard to approve the amended agenda and Chris Gardner seconded the motion. The Agenda was then approved unanimously.

The minutes from the PTSA meeting held on May 28, 2020 were presented. A motion was made by Kim Garrard to approve the minutes and Chris Gardner seconded the motion. The Minutes from 5/28/2020 were then approved unanimously.

Kim Garrard presented the CTA PTSA Monthly Budget report for September 2020. The financial report was accepted as presented.

There was a discussion on the proposed budget for the 20-21 school year. A copy of the budget was emailed to board members as well as given to board members at the meeting. A comment was made about the amount of money allocated for teachers vs the amount for students. Betty explained that the budget can be amended later on depending on the activities decide upon and the actual income received. Possible income sources are donations from businesses and individuals, as well as business partnerships with businesses such as Chick-fil-A. Nate also suggested car detailing could be a possible fundraiser as well as a craft sale with a possible night to assemble crafts for the students. The budget was then voted on by the 7 members in attendance and was approved unanimously.

Business conducted: Betty Shaw explained that we have accepted the resignation of DeeAnn Pratt as President Elect due to the fact that she will not be here next year. DeeAnn has been appointed as the Student Relations VP. Chris Gardner had been appointed as President Elect and we are grateful to her for accepting the position. Betty explained that the President has the authority to make appointments to positions after a Spring election.

Membership: Kim Garrard noted that we currently have 32 members enrolled in PTSA with a goal of 45-50 members for the 20-21 school year. A current membership list was given to board members. Nate will send out a link again in the middle of the month to see if we can encourage more people to join. PTSA will also be advertised on the CTA Facebook page. Betty encouraged everyone to “just ask one more.” Kim Garrard will also work up a flyer to send home with CTA students with a PTSA envelope, encouraging enrollment for all students. A link for member hub will be included on the flyer.

There was also a discussion on a Student Council Committee which would be made up of students from CTA. One adult and one student from this Committee would also attend the monthly board meeting to represent the wishes and needs of the students. It was suggested that DeeAnn Pratt be asked to be the PTA Representative for the Student Council Committee. Nate and Brooke Heumann will provide a list of students who would be good on the Student Council Committee.

It was decided that planning for field trips would need to be postponed until we see what is allowed later on in the year. The discussion did lead to talk about the day at the Capitol for students on February 9, 16 or 18, 2021. Registration for Capitol day will be in December. Brooke D’Sousa will check on the details and will also look into transportation to the Capitol. She will report back to the board at the next meeting.

Firehouse Subs with chips, cookies and lemonade were brought in to the teachers during parent/teacher conferences in September. Thanks to Betty Shaw for arranging for that dinner for the teachers and staff.

Betty explained that board members need to be thinking about assembling then electing a Nominating Committee to find people to fill upcoming vacant board positions. We need one member from the current PTA board plus two more members plus 2 alternates. It was suggested that Pam Hansen would be valuable to continue on the Nominating Committee. Those on the Nominating Committee may not be elected as members of the board.

Chris Gardner asked if it was possible to have a yearbook for students. Nate indicated that he has thought about using Lifetouch to take photos for student badges so he will will check into having Lifetouch take photos for a yearbook. There could be a nighttime session for photos for the students who are currently attending school remotely. Betty said that Lifetouch has a partnership with PTA. It was suggested that we look into getting businesses to sponsor a page in the yearbook. Nate and Chris will look into details for a yearbook and will report back at the next meeting.

Chris Gardner also asked about the possibility of a greenhouse project for students, possibly as a partnership with Jordan Valley. This topic will be discussed further at the next meeting.

Brooke Heumann was asked if she would check with CTA teachers and see if there is anything the teachers need help with and then report back at the next meeting.

The next meeting was scheduled for Thursday, October 22, 5:00 pm in the Bell Canyon Conference Room.

Brooke D’Sousa made a motion to adjourn the meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 5:55 pm.

 

Translate »

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement

Canyons School District is committed to making this website compliant with the ADA. At this time, we recognize that not all areas of this website may be ADA compliant. We are currently in the process of redesigning and creating new website content to be compliant with the W3C Level Two guidelines. If you are experiencing issues with this website, please contact us here communications@canyonsdistrict.org